30 July 2008

My Life as a Bus Commuter...


Since we are trying to sell the gray MINI that leaves me 4 options to get to work.
  1. Drive the Red Mini..... Super Fun However I would rather not take him out on days that are gray and dumpy looking and/or raining.
  2. Walk.... Super Healthty, I can make the walk from my front door to the office in less than 45 minutes.
  3. Wake Stacie and the children up to have her drive me.... I have nver done this nor would I. (I value my life)
  4. Take the Bus.... It picks me up almost in front of my house and drops me off downtown in Oak Harbor. A short 3 minute walk and I am sitting in my office Chair.

Now I am not a Global Warming Alarmist by any means. I would consider myself more of a skeptic in the "fact" that me and my car have caused some great climate crisis. I don't deny that there is warming, however I think its part of a greater climate change cycle that has happened since the Lord created the earth. I may go into that latter, but back on topic.

Island Transit if FREE! Doesn't cost me a shiny nickel to ride. Here is a statement from the Island Transit web site.

"The Island Transit Board of Directors feels that charging a fare is contrary to the mission of Island Transit. Typically, for smaller or rural transit systems, collecting a fare generates virtually no usable revenue because of the costs associated with the collection of the fare!!! In addition, the farebox imposes an unnecessary inconvenience which is detrimental to ridership, and therefore contrary to the mission. Island Transit is pre-paid with a local Sales Tax of 6/10ths of 1% on every dollar spent in Island County."

Hmmm... With all the money that King, Pierce, and Snohomish Counties (and their incorporated cities) collect in taxes, their transit systems should be fare free also.

See how you can save gas money by taking the bus.

http://islandtransit.org/

Did I mention it was free?

1 comment:

V. Murray Shockley said...

Oh my! You are selling the mini!! Why didn't you tell me? :)